Irene Cotton, CDG offers Free careers advice for Actors
About Irene Cotton, CDG:Irene has worked extensively as a Casting Director in theatre, film, TV and radio. Her credits include - The Libertine with John Malkovich and Johnny Depp (film), Dirty Dancing (West End), Panorama (TV) as well as casting over 200 episodes of The Bill (TV). She was also the in-house Casting Director at the Old Vic for 3 years.
Irene’s Top Tips!
- Fringe Benefits: Perform in a fringe show, but choose the production carefully.
- Get Proactive: Send out an email to casting directors every 2 months.
- Forward thinking: Speak to your agent about how they see you and your career.
- Less is more: Only have 4 or 5 photos on your profile.
- Contrast is key: Only have additional photos on your profile that show something different.
- Produce your own work.
- Make sure your casting type is reflected in your headshots.
”Invaluable session. Irene was concise, direct and gave constructive criticism on my profile, headshots and potential agents. She gave me confidence that I should continue to pursue my current career path.”
”Very informative and helpful as well as encouraging. It was great to discuss and get advice from a casting director with such knowledge and experience.” Meg Travers
”Really helpful, Irene was very down to earth, open to chatting and completely flexible with where the conversation went. A brilliant opportunity I would not have otherwise had.” Simon Lyshon
”Irene was very polite and candid. A real treat to have an honest and straightforward conversation with a casting director outside of a casting environment.” Patrick Rowe