Set building and design advice

Hazel Davis
Hazel Davis
Assistant Stage Manager

I am currently studying technical theatre and would like to find out a bit more about going into set building/ carpentry and design. I'll be finishing off the HND next year but I would rather learn on the job than do further college or Uni.
Are most jobs of this type freelance or as part of a larger company? What kind of skills are people looking for? Also I am up in Scotland so finding work experience maybe harder. If any one could give me a few pointer that would be great.
Thanks all. :)

• 3 years ago
Molly Stoker
Molly Stoker
Lighting Technician

Hi Hazel,

I recommend you get in touch with Pitlochry Festival Theatre and explain your situation. They produce a summer season of shows and Christmas show every year. They have a large workshop and build all their own sets. Depending on your skills they might be able to offer you a seasonal post.

Molly

• 3 years ago
Hazel Davis
Hazel Davis
Assistant Stage Manager

Hmm sounds intriguing, I will get in touch with them. Thanks for the advice Molly. :)

Hazel

• 3 years ago
anonymous
User Deleted
This profile has been archived

Hi Hazel,

Where in Scotland are you based? Scottish Opera have their own workshops as do several other organisations across the central belt. Is it scenery building or design that you're looking to get into?

Cheers,
Darren

• 2 years ago
anonymous
User Deleted

Looking for work in wales

• 2 years ago
Molly Stoker
Molly Stoker
Lighting Technician

My advice, wherever you are is to go along to your local theatre. If they produce their own shows they'll either have a workshop to build their own sets, or they'll be able to direct you to the people who do the build for them. If you're just looking to make some money while you're waiting to get into the area that interests you most, it's a good idea to get onto the list of casuals at your local theatre. Turning up in person and asking for a look round/if there's any work is much more effective than emailing. People are generally willing to give you a chance if you've taken the trouble to go in and they've met you and know you're not a total idiot.

• 2 years ago
anonymous
User Deleted

Hi Dean,

What sort of work are you looking for and where in Wales are you looking?

• 2 years ago
Gavin Packer
Gavin Packer
Carpenter

any london or nearby jobs about

• 2 years ago
You must login as a candidate to participate in the forum.
Please note: Messages written in the forum do not represent the views of The Mandy Network, nor have they been vetted by The Mandy Network staff. If you read something which you believe to be offensive or defamatory, please contact us and we will take the appropriate action.