Tips for Actors from Casting Director Scott Wojcik
Esteemed casting director, Scott Wojcik of Wojcik | Seay Casting in NYC, recently led a series of one-on-one sessions with several actors on Mandy, helping them in their careers! Scott Wojcik has been working as a Casting Director for over 20 years and has cast for the National and International tours of Broadway classics, such as Jesus Christ Superstar, Something Rotten!, RENT, Kinky Boots, Rock of Ages, Motown and more. In addition to casting, Scott teaches audition skills, on-camera techniques and more about the business of acting. He teaches regularly for SAG/AFTRA and has been a regular guest monologue coach for Vassar’s summer program, Powerhouse.
These sessions were a chance for actors to fine-tune their Mandy Profile, get advice and feedback on headshots, showreel, cover letters and ultimately increase their chances of securing auditions and roles!
Here are a few tips Scott gave to our members:
- Be ready for when an opportunity arises, because it will come! And when it comes, you want to nail it.
- In terms of your reel, understand that it's a piece about you - so make it enticing! It should be no more than 00:45s to 1m15s in length and you must make it snappy, because casting directors look at reel upon reel all day long. Casting directors need to justify to directors why you've been invited in, so get to the talking parts fast.
- If you are a singer auditioning for a classical role, try not to get caught up in the ‘singing’. Focus on the acting and emotional journey of the piece - this is what not only casting directors really want to see, but audience members too.
- In this climate, it is hugely advantageous for actors to have a website.
Our members loved the opportunity to chat with Scott and here are a few testimonials from them:
- “I just loved the session with Scott! He gave me a TON of things to work on and I got cracking on them ASAP! I can't thank you enough for allowing me to have the privilege of consulting with him!” - Adam Daniel Mezei
- “I really appreciated getting the chance to speak with Scott, as most of my experience and knowledge is with the industry in the UK, so he helped shed some light on the differences and similarities between that and the NYC scene.” - Celia O'Brien
- “The session was very efficient, informative, and it felt good to get clear honest feedback from a pro! I appreciate Mandy for engaging actors and finding new ways to keep us inspired.” - Ron Weisberg
Do you want to attend the next Mandy Surgery?
Mandy Surgery sessions provide an opportunity for professionals to get free one-on-one career advice from top industry professionals in the industry. These events are run exclusively for Premium Members. Keep an eye out for the next Mandy Surgery here.