Glasgow School of Art

Find out more about the cast and crew that have worked with Glasgow School of Art. If you are interested in working with Glasgow School of Art or similar companies, join The Mandy Network and get alerted of upcoming job opportunities.

The GSA is internationally recognised as one of Europe's foremost university-level institutions for creative education and research in fine art, design and architecture.

Founded in 1845 as a Government School of Design, The Glasgow School of Art has grown to become one of the United Kingdom's pre-eminent institutions for the study and advancement of fine art, design and architecture.

The School was originally based at 116 Ingram Street in a building erected around 1805 as commercial premises. The new School was immediately over-subscribed and the accommodation deemed inadequate so additional space was purchased on Montrose Street. Although the School moved to new premises in 1869, the Ingram Street buildings remained until 1982 when they were demolished.

In 1869 the School moved to the buildings on Sauchiehall Street, in a corner of the McLellan Galleries, erected in 1855 to accommodate the city's art collection. A report from the examiner of the Science and Art Department which oversaw art education stated that the rooms were "ill adapted for the purposes of a school of art.....with the aggravation of the grey dull atmosphere prevailing here for half the year the students labour under positive disadvantage".

Despite this, the reputation of The Glasgow School of Art was high. In the league tables of schools administered by the Science and Art Department, in the National Awards, the GSA was third highest in the number of medals and prizes.

In 1885 a new Director was appointed - Francis H Newbery. Under Newbery's directorship, the School moved in to a new purpose built building on Renfrew Street, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

The GSA foster the conditions for creativity in order to promote critical thinking, experimentation, discovery and innovation. Our distinctive pedagogy and research promote studio culture as the basis for creative communities, the meeting ground for diversity of opinion, independence of thought and learning from each other.

Proudly independent and outward-looking, we continuously extend the boundaries of our knowledge, geographic reach and impact through collaboration and partnership locally, nationally and internationally.

We are socially and environmentally responsible in our organisational culture and academic provision. We seek to be exceptional but not exclusive, aspirational but accessible.

Drawing on our heritage, we promote a mutually-enriching relationship between tradition and innovation. Rooted in Glasgow, with a strong international and intercultural perspective underpinning all that we do, the city is both a focus for our work and the platform from which our international relationships grow, strengthening our role in the world.

Connected Mandy members:

    Alternative Company Names

    • the GSA
    • GSA Glasgow
    • Glasgow Art School