1950's style comic monologue - Urgent

• Stephanie Lodge

Actor

I wondered if anyone knows of a comic monologue either set in the fifties or suitable to adapt to do a heightned RP accent.

I have been looking at Noel Coward and early Pinter, but nothing has stood out to me yet, or has been too serious. I have found a funny telephone monologue of Cowards from his revue sketches and paradies collection, but not too sure about doing a telephone speech...always thought they were considered best to be avoided.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steph. x

• 12th Jul 2010
  • User Deleted

This profile has been archived

Look at some of Joyce Grenfell's monologues (most well known generally for her role in original St. Trinian's films, although she was a fantastic writer and performer). Here's a link -

monologues.co.uk/First_Ladies/index.htm

there are a few names listed, but click on Joyce Grenfell. I'd recommend one of the Nursery monologues. Hilarious.

• 10th Jul 2010
  • Toni Brooks

Actor

Especially the George, Don't Do That' one. Also Alison from Look Back in Anger iws.punahou.edu/department/theatre/curriculum/monologues/female/alison.html

• 10th Jul 2010
  • Toni Brooks

Actor

Just clocked you wanted comedic and the Alison one is far from that. Sorry.

• 10th Jul 2010
  • Stephanie Lodge

Actor

Thank you Emily you're a lifesaver!! Great website and Toni funnily enough thats the one I chose!

Steph x

• 11th Jul 2010
  • Sarah Mckendrick

Actor

are you auditioning for Recipe for a perfect wife? As I don't want to do the same speach as you!

Sarah

• 12th Jul 2010
  • Stephanie Lodge

Actor

Hi Sarah

Yes I am! Have you found out your audition time yet? I emailed back quite late on Friday and I haven't heard yet.

Steph x

• 12th Jul 2010