User Deleted
This profile has been archived

There is a God!!

• 14 years ago

About time too!!!

• 14 years ago
Private User
This profile is private

And people still refuse to believe in the power of prayer....!

• 14 years ago
User Deleted

At least there will be a little less trash in some of the trashy magazines that I buy........

• 14 years ago

It's hardly surprising, I mean does anyone actually watch it anymore?!

• 14 years ago
User Deleted

Watch what!!!???

• 14 years ago
Toni Brooks
Actor

YAY!

• 14 years ago
Lee Ravitz
Actor

It's still taken four years longer than brokering an end to World War Two...

• 14 years ago

Mm,well love it or hate it,we are all to blame for it being there in the first place.If more children were encouraged to read a book instead of watching the TV for hours,or reading trashy magazines about so called Z list celebs,then more children would grow up with values.Values like anything you work hard for is worth more than money earned getting your t''ts out on TV.The sooner people wise up and stop supplying the magazines that run stupid stories about Katie Price ,and people switch off their TVs every time a TV company rolls out its latest cheap reality show.The sooner they will be banished,just as Big Brother has.Not a day to soon.No money,no market no rubbish.No more Katie Price,No more Paris Hilton,no more Victoria , ah bliss

• 14 years ago
Private User
This profile is private

Ha! Just to be a tad controversial, I actually quite like the show...it's too easy to be a "bit snobby" about a TV show!

It's no worse than watching some of the other crap that's dished up to the license payer....opps another thread!

I mean is BB any worse than the Generation game? That loveable game show in which members of the public made fools of themselves on national TV….granted without all the evocative elements of BB.

Once into BB...I find it quite fascinating to see these desperate humans destroy themselves on TV in this way....as an actor it's quite a useful human emotion observational exercise too!

The fact is...reality TV …. has been around since the early days...I well recall the programme called "The Family" about the Wilkins back in the 70's!!

The trouble is...there is far too much of it and it has perhaps bred a nation of wannabes, and perhaps it will simply go to another Channel. Then they won't have pay the dreadfully stupid "face pulling Davina" her massive…massive fees....so a less paid and less known set of presenters will be drafted in....and gradually BB will fade away!

So whilst you/we are all rejoicing the society crushing demise of BB, bear in mind...A) it was due to end on Channel 4 after 11 series anyway - B) I would almost bet that channel 4 will not "make" more drama in its place....though they might simply bring in some repeated or imported drama and C) if Endemole revamp it....and Channel 4 feel they can make money our of it, it will remain on the station whether you like it or not!

If on the other hand...we all want to be rid of it, coz it's taking up our acting jobs.........I think not!

Granted there is way too much of this stuff....and yes it has perhaps perpetuated the trash mags and the people in them into some sort of false celeb career which should not be seen as the norm. However, we're all toned down wannabes really......if we are totally truthful about it!!! Go on be honest with yourselves!! Maybe we would not go to desperate lengths like Jordan and Co….but it's all the fame game innit! Just like when Rachel Welch and Bridget Bardot were in all the press …having countless marriages and public split ups…"who" I hear some of the younger members cry?!!

Now if we are saying BB etc is responsible for the demise of the younger generation I think that's nonsense….and an insult to the intelligence of the majority of youngsters of today. This sort of programme simply relies on the draw of the fame game which has been around a long long time, and we are simply toned down players of the same game.

My bucket is ready for those who want to reply with how we actooorrrrrs do this for the art of it etc etc......yup I know - I know and get all of that....but go on.. look in the mirror, and tell yourself you don't want to be a bit famous really ….without lying!!!

That should open up the thread a bit?!!

• 14 years ago
User Deleted

Off to catch the train, this discussion to be continued this evening!!

• 14 years ago

Well i for one am sorry to see it go, I love Big Brother, even when it's boring! And even though it turned from a social experiment to a five minute fame machine, if you can see past that, it is still a social experiment, only the parameters have changed. We still get to watch people go on a psychological journey, only this time they hope for fame. I find their reactions to various stimulous fascinating. But people have become too closed minded about it because of it's stigma.  

I love Davina too, and also think she is the best BBBM presenter they've had. She is hillaire! 

But in a way I'm glad it's going, because I get a bit OCD with it and get tetchy if I miss an episode. Still no need to cancel Celebrity BB. 

It's the reality "talent" shows that need to be axed.  They are what I think is cheapening the business. 

• 14 years ago
Private User
This profile is private

....I meant "famous" in respect of ones craft....not just for the sake of it! If that makes sense???

• 14 years ago

Yes it made perfect sense : D

• 14 years ago
Private User
This profile is private

I would wager the contents of my soul that it's not the last time we see Big Brother on UK television.

It's a great representative of today's culture I think...voyeurism at its best and most simplistic. I hate it with every single fiber of my body, but if someone happens to have it on, I can't help but find myself going..."Oh god, he's such an arsehole. She's so doing that for attention..."

and so forth.

RIP Big Brother. Thanks for the ADD and heightened social paranoia.

• 14 years ago

good riddance !

do you know how many of these people put genuine actors out of work over the years ?

• 14 years ago
Private User
This profile is private

I don't watch it and am happy to see it go mainly because the people they put in are a poor representation of society. They always go for sterotypes and the shock factor and rarely have anyone intelligent, mature and insightful on there because I guess that isn't entertaining enough and would make the average viewer feel stupid.

What I hate is anyone who expresses an opinion on that show which is in the slightest bit controversial is then flamed by the public for being racist, sexist, facist etc. but nobody seems to care when housemates swear, cheat on their partners whilst in the house and generally act like a chav.

For me it just highlights everything I hate about the way Britain is going. Nobody seems to have any manners or class anymore. I particularly dislike the way women behave and are portrayed on that show. Looks are apparently the most important thing, being clever means people won't like you and will be intimidated and your job in the house is to please the men and do the cooking and cleaning whilst wearing a bikini, binge drinking and sunning yourself.

As a psychologist I liked the idea of the show as an anthropological experiment but really it is like looking at what cave people would be like if they were living in the 21st century.

• 14 years ago

I only ever watched the first few and got bored, I think it's a complete waste of time, if I ever wanted to do character observation I'd go to my local shopping mall and sit there a while, it's full of interesting characters who are regualrs there. As for it being the demise of the younger generation, my son was an avid watcher, he has impeccable manners and morals and is a credit to his generation - having been brought up well I might add

• 14 years ago

And yes Mark I wouldn't mind being a bit famous in a Meryl Streep kind of way!

• 14 years ago

This story in The Stage is great news! The cull of BB has prompted a little change in their drama budgets.

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/25384/channel-4-drama-gets-20-million-boost

• 14 years ago
You must login as a candidate to participate in the forum.
Please note: Messages written in the forum do not represent the views of The Mandy Network, nor have they been vetted by The Mandy Network staff. If you read something which you believe to be offensive or defamatory, please contact us and we will take the appropriate action.