Manuel Puro shares 7 top tips on getting cast
Manuel has a hugely impressive list of credits. He’s worked with some incredible names in the business, starting with Jeremy Zimmerman in 1995, he then got headhunted in 2000 by Micheal Foster at ICM where he worked with their A-List clients. Two years later he joined Matthew Vaughn's and Guy Richie’s company Ska Films. He’s later worked with Stephen Frears at Working Title and in 2007 set up Puro Casting. Since then he has cast award winning films including Moon, The Machine and Skeletons.
7 top tips shared by Manuel during this surgery:
- If an accent is not required for the part, go into the audition talking in a neutral accent.
- If you genuinely liked a director/casting director’s work then write to them telling them that. Don’t just write asking for a job.
- Self taping is becoming more popular, so be ready to record yourself for screen jobs.
- Keep in touch with casting directors every 2 months.
- Make the first scene of your showreel count, as a CD might not watch more than 30 seconds.
- Have a bigger variety of headshots - teeth and side shots.
- Treat yourself like a product and the industry like a business.
Read feedback from surgery attendees:"Extremely valuable. Very honest, no nonsense advice. I will definitely be taking on board the advice he has given me." Stephanie Lewis
"Great to have a one to one with someone who has such a wide knowledge of the industry." Jared Rogers
"Great session - very informative and relaxed." Leann O’Kassi
"It is always inspiring to meet a CD without the pressure of an audition. It takes away the pressure on both sides and makes for a relaxed and open exchange of ideas and experiences." Adam Wittek
"Great - very enjoyable." Pauline Cousty
"Really helpful - it was straight forward, honest feedback, which I will definitely take on board." Durassie Kiangangu
Did you know that these events are FREE for Premium The Mandy Network members? Keep an eye on all upcoming Mandy Surgeries and apply to be in with a chance of meeting acclaimed industry professionals.