The Sheldonian Theatre was erected in 1664-8 to a design by Sir Christopher Wren (1632-1723) from funds donated by Gilbert Sheldon (1598-1677), who during his long career held office as Warden of All Souls Bishop of London and Archbishop of Canterbury and was elected as Chancellor of the University of Oxford. In 1994 the Theatre was described by the European Commission as "one of the architectural jewels of Oxford". Its purpose was to provide an appropriate secular venue for the principal meetings and public ceremonies of the University, and this remains its purpose today.
University of Oxford
Members of Mandy who have worked for Sheldonian Theatre