Plaza

  • About
    In 1983 RAODS lost the use of their storage and set building facility on a local farm. This brought about an urgent need to locate another barn or building to keep the scenery and props in. Fortuitously at the same time the local cinema, The Plaza came on to the market. It was immediately obvious that the building could be converted not to a storage facility but to a "Proper Theatre". Thus the scene was set for much hard work and serious fund raising. The task of raising in the order of £150,000 seemed at times beyond reach, however the building was purchased and the alterations undertaken to provide a 246 seat theatre with most of the normal technical and audience facilities.

    The Plaza was built in the 1930s as a cinema. When the cinema closed, the building was used for several years as a bingo hall, until that closed in the early 1980s. After being empty for two years many hours were put in by members to convert it to the Theatre you see today.

    Over the last few years the facilities have been gradually brought up to date, with the recent addition of a purpose built workshop and surfacing of the carpark in 1989. Award winning disabled facilities were installed in the early 1990s, and Lighting and Sound equipment was purchased to a standard that rivals many other professional venues. 1997 saw the building of a new roof, that allowed air handling plant and ventilation ductwork to be installed to improve comfort for theatre audiences. At the beginning of April 2005 the ventilation system was upgraded to feature true air-conditioning in the Plaza auditorium. The next major project being undertaken is upgrading the multi-function Green Room and adjoining kitchen.
  • Built in
    1930
  • Capacity
    231
  • Address
    Winchester Road
    Romsey
    Hampshire
    SO51 8JA
  • Website

Members of Mandy who have worked for Plaza