Based at the heart of the city’s cultural quarter, Dundee Rep is a unique organisation in the UK, providing one of the most comprehensive arts services in Scotland. It is a thriving artistic community made up of 3 major elements:
* Dundee Rep Ensemble - the only full-time company of actors in Scotland.
* Scotland’s principal contemporary dance company - Scottish Dance Theatre.
* a hugely successful and far-reaching Education & Community team.
The Rep has two artistic directors - James Brining and Dominic Hill. Under their direction, The Rep's in-house productions offer a repertoire of acclaimed works. The Rep also commissions the best playwrights to create new works and translate and adapt classical texts, making it relevant to Scotland’s contemporary cultural and social climate.
Over recent years the Rep has taken its place as Scotland’s major producing theatre, gaining both public and critical acclaim.
* Receiving the prestigious TMA Martini Award in 1996 for the Best Overall Production in the UK
* Opening its doors in September 1999 to one of the most ambitious experiments in Scottish Theatre for many years - a permanent company of actors.
* In 2004, receiving 10 nominations and winning 5 Critics Awards for Theatre in Scotland.
The 455 seat auditorium boasts one of the best stages in Scotland in terms of relationship with the audience. It operates as both a producing house - staging at least six of its own productions each year, and a receiving house - hosting work from the best visiting companies throughout Scotland and the UK. This enables the Rep to provide a wide variety of work including top quality drama, musicals, contemporary & classical dance, children’s theatre, jazz, opera and more …