The story of Sutton Arts Theatre started one evening in 1944 when Paul Rice called unexpectedly with a proposition to put to Bill Wesley Harkcom. Paul intended to produce a play somewhere in Sutton Coldfield and was having trouble finding a leading man.
In 1946 Sutton Arts Council was formed, after the Libraries and Arts committees of Sutton invited representatives of local dramatic societies to form a central body. This amalgamation resulted in the new company producing three plays a year. Sutton Town Hall continued to be used to stage the productions.