Greyfriars Kirk House (Edinburgh Festival Venue 28)
Greyfriars Kirk opened in 1620 and takes its name from the Franciscan Friary that once stood nearby. It was the first church built in Edinburgh after the Reformation. In the grounds of the Kirk, the Kirk House mission has been a Fringe venue for very many years, and some of our venue managers have been there for over ten years.
Greyfriars Kirk House is perfectly located at the bottom end of Candlemaker Row, just off the Grassmarket, which is one of the most exciting parts of Edinburgh for shopping and eating out. Tucked away behind the Castle, the area offers an intriguing mix of shops, restaurants, coffee-houses and bars.
During the Fringe the Kirk House is home to two studio theatres and the Kirk House Café. Situated on the ground floor is the Café, which serves a selection of hearty vegetarian food, and the small but perfectly formed Studio 2 seating up to 40 people. Upstairs is the larger Studio 1 with seating for up to 60 people.
86 Candlemaker Row
Members of Mandy who have worked for Greyfriars Kirk House