Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine was an independent constituent part of the University of London until July 2007 when it was granted a new royal charter declaring it an independent university in its own right.
Imperial College was established in 1907 in London's scientific and cultural heartland in South Kensington, as a merger of the Royal College of Science, the City and Guilds College and the Royal School of Mines. St Mary's Hospital Medical School and the National Heart and Lung Institute merged with the College in 1988 and 1995 respectively.
Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School merged with the College on 1 August 1997 to form, with the existing departments on the St Mary's and Royal Brompton campuses, the Imperial College Faculty of Medicine.
On 1 August 2000 Wye College and the The Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology merged with the College. The Kennedy Institute became a Division of the Faculty of Medicine and Wye College is now known as Imperial College Wye campus.