he Fisher Theatre is one of 13 established in Norfolk and North Suffolk by David Fisher and his family in the late 18th and early 19th centuries and was originally built by a locally-based comedy troupe in 1828. Over the years it has been used as a laundry, a cinema, and most recently as a textile warehouse. The Bungay Arts and Theatre Society purchased the building in February 2001 to restore it as a community arts facility.
It has strong local support, and dozens of volunteers have been involved in fundraising and maintenance. Weatherproofing and some essential works were completed towards the end of 2001 and the full restoration of the interior was completed in 2006. The Mayor of Bungay, Cll Martin Evans opened the theatre in October 2006 and it is currently hosting plays, performances and community activities.
As well as the main fully equipped auditorium, with boxes and a special adaptable floor to suit any form of theatre production or other events, the building includes two other rooms, one suitable for workshops, an atmospheric basement and the Fisher's Wine Bar which is now open daily for morning coffee, lunches and tea, and will also be open in the evenings in due course.
Members of Mandy who have worked for The Fisher Theatre