HMP Belfast, also known as Crumlin Road Gaol is a former prison situated in north Belfast, Northern Ireland. It is the only Victorian era prison remaining in Northern Ireland and has been derelict since 1996.
The Environment and Heritage Service have given it a grade A listed building status because of its architectural and historical significance. The Crumlin Road Courthouse, also derelict, stands opposite the Gaol. A tunnel under the main road connects the two buildings.
Designed by Sir Charles Lanyon, the Gaol was built between 1843 and 1845. Partly based on HM Prison Pentonville, it was one of the most advanced prisons of its day.
For the last thirty years of its working life until it closed on 31 March 1996, Crumlin Road prison served as a remand centre for suspected terrorist and paramilitary prisoners awaiting trial.
Crumlin Road Gaol will be open until 13th December 09
Price Range: £3.00-£5.00. Concessions are free. Tickets available from Belfast Welcome Centre
028 9024 6609