Beddington Park

  • About
    Beddington Park was originally part of the deer park attached to Carew Manor, which was once a major country house. At its height in the Tudor period the park occupied almost all the land between Mitcham Common, Beddington Lane, Croydon Road and London Road.

    At the beginning of the eighteenth century a long canal-like lake was created in front of Carew Manor. There were avenues of trees along either side and two other avenues radiating out across the park from the west front of the house.

    By the mid-eighteenth century the fortunes of the Carew family had declined and most of the northern part of the park had been converted into fields. The southern part survived as a deer park until the Carew estate was sold in 1859. Shortly after this the park was acquired by Canon Alexander Henry Bridges, the wealthy rector of Beddington. Bridges lived in Beddington House in Bridges Lane a short distance from the park. Bridges filled in the long narrow lake and replaced the avenue of trees along it. He carried out a great deal of planting including the shelter belt along the north side of the park and round spinneys within it. Most of the older trees in the park date from his time.

    Notable features in the park include:

    East Lodge at the end of Church Road near Carew Manor School. This is dated 1877 and was built by Bridges to house his gate-keeper. It was designed by Joseph Clarke, one of the leading Victorian church 'restorers'. The design is clearly influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement which Bridges evidently favoured.

  • Address
    Church Road
    Wallington
    SM6 7NN
  • Website

Connected Mandy members:

Charmaine Bourton
2018, A midsummer nights dream
Egeus