Lemon Tree

  • About
    The building that houses The Lemon Tree began life as St Katherine's Club which was built in the 1930s by the Young Women's Christian Organisation, as an activity centre to keep young ladies off Aberdeen's streets.

    It hosted regular, strictly alcohol-free dances, under the watchful eyes of the two ladies who ran the building and scores of local residents met their future spouses at such occasions. Many believe that the spirits of the two women still watch over The Lemon Tree, although some of their rules appear to have become somewhat sidelined.

    In the 80s, St K's (as it became known) was home to various community arts groups and a vegetarian restaurant, with what now constitutes the main performance space being divided up between the different collectives.

    The site has always been funded by Aberdeen City Council and at the turn of the `90s, one of its Councillors, David Clyne had the idea to create a permanent home for the swelling audience that was attending the city's rock, theatre and comedy Alternative Festival, held annually in October.

    After two years of planning and at a cost of £600,000, The Lemon Tree opened in 1992. The arts groups were re­housed to make way for a 550-capacity downstairs performance space and cafe, with a first floor area converted into a 150-capacity studio theatre.

    "The remit remains the same today as at its inception," says Music Programmer Andy Shearer, "To programme the best touring rock, folk, world, jazz, blues, comedy, theatre and dance; to create new work with relevance to the north­east and to provide a platform for local talent."
  • Built in
    1930
  • Capacity
    550
  • Address
    5 West North Street
    Aberdeen
    AB24 5AT
  • Booking Contact
    01224 642230

Members of The Mandy Network who have worked for Lemon Tree