Milton Keynes Theatre

  • About
    1970 The potential for a large theatre was highlighted in the development blueprint for the new city call Milton Keynes.


    1985 The Milton Keynes Development Corporation reports that the creation of a live performance space would be a significant achievement and highly desirable.

    1989 Milton Keynes Borough Council resolves to contribute towards the running costs of a theatre.

    1990 MKBC's "Arts Policy for the Nineties" makes explicit reference to the need for an arts complex in the city centre.

    1992 MKBC and Buckinghamshire County Council seek the government's assurance that the construction of a large scale theatre would take place.

    1993 John Napleton, Director of the Commission for the New Towns, commissions an initial concept and feasibility study for a new theatre. Architects Andrzej Blonski and Michael Heard appointed to design a theatre.

    1994 MKBC submits an application to the capital National Lottery Fund through the Arts Council of England for an arts complex. The application was successful and a £19.6 million award was made to construct a multi million pound theatre and gallery complex.
    The Milton Keynes Theatre and Gallery Company was set up to develop the project. The company was formed by the Milton Keynes Council, the Milton Keynes Community Trust, the Milton Keynes and North Bucks Chamber of Commerce and the Milton Keynes Large Employers Association.


    1996 John Laing Construction Ltd appointed as contractors

    1997 Construction begins, launched by actor Kevin Whateley

    1998 Ambassador Theatre Group Ltd appointed as the theatre operator
  • Built in
    1999
  • Capacity
    1376
  • Address
    500 Marlborough Gate
    Milton Keynes
    MK9 3NZ
  • Booking Contact
    020 7854 7000
  • Website

Members of Mandy who have worked for Milton Keynes Theatre