Opened in 1891 as the Royal English Opera House, grand opera flopped here and the theatre was re-opened at the Palace, a music hall, two years later on 10 December 1892.
During the late 1950's the interior mable work was painted over but, thankfully, during the last half of the 1980's the theatre was extensively restored to it's former glory without closing the theatre - interior painting was removed to once again reveal the marble and onyx, while on the exterior, the huge illuminated billboards advertising productions at the theatre have been removed to provide a clear view of the building which holds a prominent position at Cambridge Circus at the Junction of Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road..
Since the mid 1920's the Palace has been mostly home to musicals which have included in 1925 No, No, Nanette! which run for 655 performances. Song of Norway in 1946. 839 performances of King's Rhapsody in 1949. The Sound of Music in 1961 which run for 2,385 performances. Cabaret in 1968 and in 1972 Jesus Christ Superstar which run for 3,358 performances. The current production, Les Miserables, originally opend at the Barbican Theatre on 8 October 1985 before transferring here on 4 December 1985. Les Miserables became the Palace's longest running production on 10 January 1994.