The first theatre on this site was The Prince's Theatre which was designed by C J Phipps. This theatre was opened in January 1884 and was demolished in 1937 to make way for the larger present theatre. On 17 June 1937 the foundation stone of the current theatre was laid by Gracie Fields, and the theatre, now named The Prince of Wales, was opened on 27 October 1937.
Alterations were made to the stage area in 1963 and the theatre was reopened on 28 March 1964. The huge Stalls bar is located under the stalls seating area and has dance floor originally designed for tea dances!
Productions here include The World of Susie Wong in 1959, Funny Girl in 1966 with Barbra Streisand, Sweet Charity in 1967 and Guys and Dolls in 1985. In January 1989 the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Aspects of Love opened here and run for 1,325 performances and becoming the Prince of Wales Theatre longest running production. Barry Manilow's musical Copacabana played here for just over a year in 1994.
Prior to the transfer in June 2004 of the hit musical Mammia Mia! from The Prince Edward Theatre, The Prince of Wales Theatre was extensively refurbished by the architectal practice RHWL.
The extensive works included the adding of an extra row of seats to the rear of the circle giving a slight increase in the seating capacity to 1,160. The refurbished theatre was officially re-opened by Prince Charles at a Royal Charity Gala on 10 June 2004.
31 Coventry Street
020 7839 5972/5987
Members of Mandy who have worked for Prince of Wales