The Grand Theatre building is owned by Wolverhampton Borough Council and is leased to a company called the Wolverhampton Grand Theatre (1982) Ltd. This company is responsible for running the theatre and pays the Council a peppercorn rent for the lease of the building. The company is registered at Companies House and is also a registered charitable trust. The Company is limited by Guarantee with the liability of all members limited to £1.
The Grand is a major receiving venue on the number one touring circuit. Unlike Repertory Theatres, venues like the Grand Theatre do not produce their own shows but stage the productions of touring companies. These companies usually perform at the Grand Theatre (and other receiving venues throughout the country) for a specific run (eg one, two or three week runs and sometimes even for a 4 to 10 week season). The theatre's Chief Executive contacts production companies to book shows to be staged at the Grand Theatre.
As the Grand is not a producing venue, it does not have a department for wardrobe, make-up, props, scenery, or wigs. Neither does it have its own team of directors, writers, performers etc. Everything required to stage the shows is brought to the theatre by the visiting company. The visiting company's staff then work with the Grand Theatre's staff to prepare the show for performance and to operate it throughout its run.
The theatre was opened in 1894 and designed by one of the country's leading architects C J Phipps. Originally the theatre had an audience capacity of over 2000, now the theatre seats 1200 people, due to increasing the space and comfort for all patrons.
Approximately 80 people work at the theatre at its busiest times. These busy periods often occur at pantomime time and when major musicals are staged as this is when most backstage and casual staff are employed.