Aldwych Theatre

  • About
    When the area between Wellington Street, Strand and Fleet Street was reconstructed in the last years of the nineteenth century much of London's old theatreland was wiped out. The new streets of Aldwych and Kingsway were constructed and plans were made for the building of two theatres with identical facades along the Aldwych, one on the corner of Catherine Street, the other on the corner of Drury Lane. Between the two theatres there was to be a magnificent hotel, The Waldorf.

    The Waldorf Theatre, now The Strand, opened in May 1905 and the Aldwych Theatre was completed shortly afterwards in December the same year. It was built by Seymour Hicks in association with American impresario Charles Frohman, to a design by W.G.R. Sprague with a seating capacity of 1,092. This has been increased today to 1200.

    Not far off its centenary, the theatre is today once again owned by an American, James Nederlander, and operated by Michael Codron Plays.
  • Built in
    1905
  • Address
    Aldwych
    London
    WC2B 4DF
  • Website

Members of Mandy who have worked for Aldwych Theatre