Drama Schools

I'm considering applying for drama school. However I'm constantly told that I need an accredited drama course. And judging by how many applicants they take on. I don't feel confident I will gain a place.

I was thinking of non accredited ones in Manchester/London. I've heard Arden. University of Central Lancashire are good. Does accreditation really matter? I'm still going to apply for accredited ones, but just want some others for backup. If that makes sense? If anyone can recommend any drama schools/university in Manchester/London that are great for acting?

My decisions so far. ALRA, East 15, Rose Bruford, MMU.

Kind regards Ian.

• 10 years ago
User Deleted
This profile has been archived

Hi Ian

I've been too long out of drama school now to be able to offer any useful advice on where to go, accredited or otherwise. Or in fact whether you need to go at all!

My advice is to stop thinking about how many people apply for how many places, and rather concentrate on yourself as an actor - make sure you have absolutely top notch speeches, and songs where necessary. Work on other audition techniques - eg how you come across in the interview bit, how well you can show you work in an ensemble of performers, know why you want to go to each of the schools/universities you apply to.

These are skills you'll need as an actor for every audition you attend anyway, so the work won't go to waste!

Suzanne

PS - I went to East 15 to do an MA, which is now no longer accredited (NCDT, or whoever they are now, took away 1 year course accreditation...) - I'd still do the same course - accredited or not!

• 10 years ago

Suzanne that makes so much sense. It's about going where you feel comfortable with accredited or not?

• 10 years ago
User Deleted

Exactly! You're going to be spending a lot of money to spend a lot of time there!! It has to be the right place for you...
Good luck!
x

• 10 years ago
User Deleted

I studied at the university of Central Lancashire on the music theatre course and graduated in 2012. Their facilities are great. We also worked with an award winning director in our final year production and had a showcase performance. I know a lot of people from this course who have either gotten work or gone on to be successful in gaining a place doing an MA.

Hope that is helpful.

• 10 years ago

Thanks James. I heard its a incredible course with great industry connections.

• 10 years ago
User Deleted

I can't speak for the world of Musical Theatre but in terms of acting I would never advise anyone to go to an unaccredited school simply because there are so many accredited schools pushing out graduates every summer you will be hard pressed to find any agents/casting directors with time to go to your showcase or final year shows - regardless of your how talented your year might be. My friend went to Bath Spa and was taught by RADA tutos but not one industry professional came to his showcase.

Being accredited isn't necessarily about the quality of the training it's about being recognised, like a brand. If you were going to take a chance on a product you had never used before you'd be more inclined if there was something you recognised about it.

And with no agent and no recognised training your only making a tough road to travel even harder.

And also, if you think you're not good enough to get into an accredited school then maybe the acting industry isn't for you. There will be very few people who will believe in you if you don't believe in yourself.

Aim high and you'll go far.

• 10 years ago
User Deleted

Hi Funmi

I think your points are very valid - aiming high and believing in yourself is fundamentally important! And choosing recognised courses at schools with great reputations is definitely a great springboard into an acting career.

I just want to point out that accreditation is not based on accredited schools any more, but on accredited courses... And DramaUK (which was the NCDT) no longer accredit one year MA courses.

This lack of accreditation takes nothing away from doing an MA at, for example, Central, Lamda, RADA, Guildhall etc which as brands will still be recognised and highly regarded within the industry!

Here's the best site to look at - all the schools/courses on here are worth looking at: http://www.dramauk.co.uk/courses

Suzanne

• 10 years ago

Hey

Arts university Bournemouth is not accredited at the minute but it will be in the future. It's the best non "drama school" acting degree in the country right now and the actors that it produces are (in my opinion) more level headed and realistic about what to expect when you graduate. It's a really great course, I graduated in 2007 when it was still finding its feet but the standard of actor that leaves there now is comparable with any top drama school in the country. Plus it's in Bournemouth! The night life is better the beaches are better the weather is better. It's a no brainer

• 10 years ago
Private User
This profile is private

Hi Ian,

I started my BA Acting at Drama School just two weeks ago and I have learnt so much already. I got into The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama.

I think if you aren't sure, it's good to apply to drama schools, as well as universities to get a feel for what might be right for you. I believe that you need to have faith and believe in your abilities, or potential. The training is wonderful, however no place can make you a good actor, we have to have the discipline to soak up and really use the training we receive. It's up to us I think.

• 10 years ago
You must login as a candidate to participate in the forum.
Please note: Messages written in the forum do not represent the views of The Mandy Network, nor have they been vetted by The Mandy Network staff. If you read something which you believe to be offensive or defamatory, please contact us and we will take the appropriate action.